Sunday 27 September 2009

I figgin' crashed ! Day one .....












What a beautiful day, hot but beautiful...
The gite we stayed in last night, compliments of Cathy and Peter Pugh was fantastic, in a beautiful village and I slept like a log. Up bright and early we headed down to Gruisson on the coast. I think we got there about 8.15. I was really nervous, worried about the tremendous weight of all the stuff on my bike, and not being sure which direction to take, but most of all I was worried about the heat and the fact it's a sunday and I had no sun bloc cream ! Last night we tried and tried again to buy some, visiting three different supermarkets.... Having spent over an hour finding the first shop ! Upon asking in each of them for sun cream I was met with exactly the same answer "It's october, we only sell it in the summer!" Bearing in mind it was too hot to sit outside for lunch yesterday and the Air con in the car was cranked up too ! I'd hate to think what it's like here in the summer !?
So, off I wobbled with no sun bloc .... Guessed the direction and was away, "Here goes nothing" I thought to myself with a nervous backward glance and wave to Ray.
Naturally I never checked the bike with the panniers loaded back in Cornwall, so the first thing I noticed was that the back of my feet bashed into them whilst pedalling ! Bugger... So it was out with the tiny tool kit to make some alterations....
Then after a couple of miles I found a canal. That was a welcome sight indeed, I love cycling along canal paths, all flat and shady, just the ticket. Quite a few proper cyclists on the scene now, bonjour, bonjour, bonjour... A friendly lot too. I was trying out different accents and perfecting the cheeky sort of sideways head nod greeting. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't shake the look of a bloke whose never cycled more than 12 miles in his life. New bike, new panniers, even new shoes, and still wobbling, looking nervous and now sporting a pair of glowing red legs simmering in the sun !
After a few hours bumping along the tow path I was getting into the swing of it though... Until it came to a dead end ! No warning, it just stopped ? Great....
Back tracking now, us pro cyclists hate that, we bloody hate it. Strangely I'd just been mentally celebrating the fact that I seemed to have the whole place to myself too ? Eventually I found a little bridge to get me west of the canal and so onto a road taking me in that direction.
Eventually I found a village, I was hot now, wobbling again too and very conscious to look out for cars and people... Sure enough, as I'm heading up the main drag I spot a car reversing out from a side street, he's not seen me, he keeps coming, his dog's stood on the back seat looking at me. With raised eyebrows and a bit of a huff I pull up to let him continue, only then realising that the dog was actually the only thing in the car ! How very random, it came to a holt in the middle of the road, cars continued around it, as did I ....
Around one o'clock it was all getting far too hot for me so I began hunting a spot for a snooze ... Then, just as thought I'd never find one, there it was in the middle of hundreds of acres of Vines, a small stone ruin and a Fig tree for shelter, a few hundred yards down a dirt track.
Now, this lovely shady idealic spot had just one problem, several actually, Condoms ! All scrunkled and spent and stroon ! I had a job to find a clear spot to sit by the wall for a snooze... Even had to whittle a Jonnie flicker from a stick and flick a few aside !
Otherwise this obviously romantic spot was perfect. Quiet, cool and with fresh squidgy warm Figs for the taking. I was out for the count for a good hour I should think.
Back on the road, tyres throwing mushy figs and Condoms as the wheels span round, and heading for Lezignan Corbieres now.. What a grotty town that is. Loads of broken windows, boarded up shops and gypsies huddled about place. Just as I was thinking I really didn't want to be hanging around here I spied an old shop front to photogragh. Big mistake .... I turned, hopped up the pavement, unclipped my feet and stopped. One foot had clipped itself back in again ! Doh !! With terror written across my face and hands stretched out before me I prepared to be hurt. Unfortunately my arms went either side of a solid steel bollard which struck me squarely on my chest ! I can safely say that my Sternum has healed well. Ouch, that did hurt and I've the bruises to prove it !
I picked up the panniers and the contents of my bar bag and sat in shame and pain for a while before carrying on ....
The last ten miles were fine, a treat infact, lovely open road and Hendrix blasting out Foxy lady in my headphones. I fine moment to end an interesting day...
Tomorrow I'll be passing through and stopping off in Carcassonne, which is an 11th century walled city ! An amazing place by all accounts. So, keep watching and please think about donating too if you've not already ? Cheers !




4 comments:

Sarah said...

OH NOOO! Poor you! I am sure that it will get better as the days roll endlessly on! Great to read of the exciting exploits of a Cornishman on a Bicycle, perhaps a book later! Alls well in misty autumnul cornwallshire, dont get too sunburnt, they wont let you back into the country, I think the sun has become a bit of an urban myth here!
Take care, peddle on.

rach said...

omg justin! i was crying with laughter until the part where hugged the bollard... ouch. hope you're ok. xx keeping with you xx

Justin said...

Feeling better today thanks, but just got online on a Mac and it's late and i dont know how to drive it ! Had a dead dog incident and met Marcel today... He's been cycling continuously for 20 yrs complete with everything but the kitchen sink !

big Dave said...

so far it sounds like a smelly trip down france. I love france me. do hope you didnt keep the special stick be safe I told you its only bloody day one.