Tuesday 29 September 2009

Beautiful Mirepoix !


Lunchtime and I've happened into the most beautiful ancient town by the Pyrenees, after a morning of big big hills ! I'm whacked but delighted to be sat in a cafe with a welcome glass of wine, shuffling from cheek to cheek with my arse in tatters !
Just found a pharmacy and tried to buy cream for a vague itch, pointing at my back and under my arms ... They began to worry and called the boss to take a look ! Damn, a miracle had taken place and said itchy areas had vanished .. Then I had to explain that I had a long way to ride and I could feel an itch coming on ! The queue was building, he sold me something and I left.
An ancient market town it is with a sort of Tudor central square with half timbered cafes and gift shops all around it.
Yesterday, now that was quite a day ... A horrible dog running madly, barking at me from behind a fence as I cycled along a main busy A road south of Carcassanne. I wasn't too concerned it just just makes you jump when you hear the first bark over the sound of the ipod. Little did I know, this bloody great guard dog had a gap in the fence and came bolting out of it hell bent on taking a chunk out of my leg ! He had a good try too as I swerved in front of fast moving traffic ! I didn't think, just did it, to the sound of screeching brakes and skidding behind me, wincing and ready to meet my maker I heard the dull thud and yelp as the dog was struck and I recon killed behind me ! Looking over my shoulder I decided to carry on pedalling... I did, and started to shake and tremble and so nipped up a little side road and sat in the shade to gather myself... That was a close one... Time to get get off that dual carriageway and head into the hills....
Before the dog incident I met marcel, the chap with the bike and trailer. He had the lot on that thing, buckets, fishing rods, clothes, bedding... His whole life was on there. And what's more it's been his whole life for twenty years ! He hit the road in 1989 to cycle around Europe and just kept going... I know what you're thinking, but it's not going to happen !
He insisted on buying me a coffee and telling me about his life on the road and showing me details of his next bike, a wruncled brochure filed in a shopping bag with maps, papers and dreams. I hope he gets he electric bike.
I was catching my breath outside some grand gates in a hillside village, when I was invited in by Mrs Miyagi for a glass of orange juice. A wonderfully tranquil world opened up before me. Running water, fish pond, Aciers (is that what they're called?) and Weeping willow... A pottering gardener and delightful calm. "May I introduce my husband, he knows some English", she explained in French. Out he came, a friendly old Chinaman, reserved and so polite... Not really called Mr Miyagi, I forgot his name but he reminded me so much of the Karate Kid film ! I fully expected him dive indoors and return with a Bonsai tree and a little pair of scissors for me ! Instead he spoke with interest about my heart condition and the medical world. A fascinating man, retired from a lifetime in Medical science, based in Geneva. They gave me sugar lumps for my water, another glass of orange juice and an apple for my journey. He advised against my chosen route, pointing out it was a solid uphill and steep road for 16km ! I decided to go for it anyway... So, I finished polishing his old car, said my farewells and was off ! I
Pedalled and pedalled my clanking heart out all the way to the top ! What a view .... Just as I was thinking, "I could really do with a coffee" I met a couple of ladies from South Africa taking a picnic and admiring the breathtaking views. They made me a welcome mug full and then it was down hill for miles and miles, wind in my hair and caffeine in my veins ! Lovely !
Just before dark I made my destination, Sue and Peter Brooke, they were wonderful, made me very welcome and filled me with a delicious meal followed by home made chocolate and orange ice cream.... Thank you ....
Thank you too for all the emails and sponsorship .... Amazing !! Time to pedal some more ... 28 miles of hills to go !

2 comments:

big Dave said...

This gets better and better, very exciting armchair cycle trip for us...stay safe and I hope you keep meeting nice strangers. Ask for Kamillosan, pour faire de l'érythème fessier, it will work on your sore itchy bits...honest.
Love from Incy

rach said...

i agree, kamillosan wins every time. except... never saw it in france and always had to bring it over from england. seeing as i am not in england maybe another good chum (i'm sure sam used it for eliza?)could post over some to a pre booked destination xxxx do you still want some halibut cream for the scar? dogs will proper love you when you're lagged in that! xx i look forward to reading your blog everyday xx