Friday 30 October 2009

Wet and windy Cornwall !

Well, I'm home ... to a dark, wet and windy Autumn here in Cornwall. The bikes back in the shed and I've been in the same place for what must be three days now ? It feels so strange not moving, not pedalling and not seeing something new around each and every corner, or meeting new faces at the end of every long day of cycling. I was just settling into that fleeting exposure of peoples lives, it was interesting, annoying too sometimes, but on the whole, interesting. So many different people with different stories, leaving me with all sorts of great memories that I'm determined not to forget.
France is a fantastic country and I think I quite envy those that can live there, those that can afford to be there anyway, it's an expensive country now, not only since the pound plummeted in value but since the franc was replaced by the Euro and all the prices seemed to be rounded up rather than down.
I'm tired now, really tired, I've had little energy since I got home, but it was a pretty full on month I suppose. However, the statistics are looking great, over £3000 raised for the British heart foundation, over 1000 miles covered on my bike and what's more there's been nearly 10,000 hits on my blog site ! 10,000, I cant believe that ? Amazing ...
I thought the bike would be straight on ebay as soon as I got home but within 24 hours I wanted to get on it again ! What's happened to me ? I resisted for a few days but this afternoon I found myself jumping back into my funny cycling clobber and heading off along the road on the trusty Diamondback ! I had to keep reminding myself which side of the road to ride on ! Cycling without 20kgs of luggage was a real treat, so light and fast and easy to pedal ! I'm sure I took too much stuff with me. Next time I'll have a much smaller computer for sure... Next time !? I'm not sure I'll be doing it by bike again but I do like the idea of crossing a country by kayak, and what's more, my brother pointed out one to me that's sort of pedalled ! How about that ? Now that really appeals to me. Maybe France, maybe another country ? Any ideas welcomed, or sponsors for that matter, I can see the next challenge costing rather a lot more than the first one !
I'm not sure how I'd keep everything charged up on a Kayak either ? Photovoltaic cells or something like that I suppose ?
Time's a funny old thing isn't it, several of my friends have said "you're back already? Seems like you only just left." Whereas I feel like I've been away for ages and lived a whole lifetime of mini adventures in just four weeks !? Loads of little chapters, varied and quite different linked together by hours of pedalling. It's really had it's highs and lows, which have just served to make the whole thing all the more memorable. I've met people that I'd like to have somehow surgically removed from the hard drive of my brain and others that I feel delighted to have etched firmly into my memory banks. The world really is full of friends you've not met yet and doing a trip like that has really given me the opportunity to find a few of them.
The donations over the last few days have really escalated ! The generosity has been overwhelming and has taken the grand total including gift aid to a staggering £3074 !!
That's quite something !? Thanks so much for your interest and support .... Jus

No comments: