Monday 5 October 2009

Highs before the Lows (Hopefully!)







I reached my highpoint yesterday, 2000 meters, that's a long way up, spectacular views and thin, warm air.

Today the Pyrenees mountains will finally leave my left shoulder as I'm pedalling, swinging around behind me as I push on north, and so begin to head home, well the right direction at least ! It's a big one today, about 80km but I'll be cycling in the same direction as the valley not climbing from one to the next as I've been for the last week (is it only a week!?). My knee has been splashed with Arnica, painkillers taken, map read (sort of) and all my electronic gismos charged! I had a most amazing sleep here at Frankie’s house, another huge country pad, open plan and tres rustic with a fireplace the size of my kitchen! Frankie, a bloke I've been emailing for weeks during the course of organising this thing, and built up a mental profile and image of, as I have with all my hosts, turns out not to be the slightly unsettled studious man with a goatee and patched up, wire framed glasses, driving a 2CV. Instead, Frankie is an attractive, blond mother of two with a Land Rover! There's a lesson there somewhere but I'm too tired and rushed to figure it out...

The Hash Harriers were a merry band of Ex Pats. There are groups all over the world. They run or walk; depending on how fit they feel, following trail of flour I think... The younger or fitter members dash about ahead tracking the route and the rest follow on best they can, puffing, panting, sweating and nattering behind, with the whole thing culminating in a Hash bash or Hash up or Lash up at the end, bit vague on the details here.... Any rate, it all gets a bit Masonic at this point with all the Hashers standing in a circle chanting and singing and punishing offenders of the days Hash, cheats, corner cutters and the like. It would seem the punishment is a pint of beer with a Glass on your head or maybe the glass goes on the head when it's downed? Anyway, you get the idea. Not much of a punishment though, and more of an invitation to get caught bending the rules along the hash ?! Strange stuff indeed... But the BBQ Buffet afterwards was really nice. Oh, and they all have Hash names too, so I was sharing the long table with members such as Y fronts, Silent but deadly, Sticky fingers, Bender and of course the gorgeous Cyber tits!

Time now, once again to secure the Panniers, saddle up and concentrate on Justpeddling...


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lovely views etc etc but where are the pictures of Monty's big bash and the Hash Harriers?