Friday 25 September 2009

Mankini is in the bag !

There's my trusty mount, laying quietly waiting for the off on sunday whilst Dom fills up the big black greedy truck ! We had a lovely drive down across France today after arriving in Roscoff this morning at about 8am. We would have had plenty of time to trundle down to Locmine to meet up with my bank manager before 12 o'clock unless we hadn't stopped off at the massive all singing all dancing sport shop, the king of all sport shops, Decathlon. What an amazing place, just going in through the doors makes you feel fit, with every isle you browse comes a deep sense of well being and a curious urge to procure shiny new stuff to assist in what ever fad, regime or activity is raising your pulse, or playing on your mind as those automatic doors glide open before you ..... You enter, spellbound by choices, colours and smiling assistants. It's all there right before your eyes, whatever floats your boat, or Kayak as the case may be, these being amonst the first things to catch your eye, a row of them, racked and up ended for your perusal, teasing your wallet with promise of freedom and adventure !

I blinkered myself all the way to the cycle area ... One minute I'm laughing out loud at the hidious Mankini style mens cycling outfits, and the next, as the spell of Decathlon washes over me (helped by Dom banging on about how great they are, so much better than shorts etc!) they've landed squarely in my basket ! I've not tried them on yet, they're pretty nasty....

Having finally escaped we realised that getting to Locmine was now going to be less of a relaxed trundle and more of a, "bloody hell look at the time !" Of course, I could look at the time too, on my brand new lime green faced sports watch ! Dont ask, it's the Decathlon curse, gets you every time ! So we raced, foot down and panicing as we got stuck behind every slow moving lorry or Tractor in northern France ! 11.53 we arrive in the town... I cant remember where the bank is, it's market day, we cant park ... I jump out and run. I find it and dash in. Now I look like I've just run from Roscoff, forget how to speak french and too out of breath to speak English. The girl at the counter is wondering whether to call security or an ambulance when I find the words. Situation rectified and alarm defused I return to the street clutching the all important bank card, fresh , primed and fit for purpose.
As luck would have it it's the very same village where my brother Dan lives, we've not seen him for a while so all three of us went for a relaxing lunch and I think a fine time was had by all. Then after a drive around Brittany we pointed the the truck south, hit cruise control and rolled along nicely for about 500 miles to Ray and Evelynes place, where I find myself now, late at night and dropping off as I type.... Lovely to be here and looking forward to a good look around in the morning....

Even more donations have flooded in, thank you so much Rach, what an outstandingly generous donation ! And to my gorgeous sister Pas too, thank you. I'm hoping to catch up with you in a couple of weeks !?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you want the Insomnia money there will have to be a picture of you in the Mankini!

Sarah said...

this is getting good! "Man at Quecheia" is green with envy, I am reading on...

Anonymous said...

Looks like Simon Cowell was driving the XJS!!!!!!! after the pool we sat down and watched the real Mrs W fav cowboy film (not)......................