Wednesday 7 October 2009

Rested and ready to go.......










After a very welcome 24 hr rest in Lot et Garonne with Ray & Evelyne I'm feeling ready to get going, though all I can see, looking out with some anxiety across the terrace here are hills and more hills... My knee is rested too, and yesterday we visited a special shop for wheelchairs, human hoists and walking sticks... Stuff like that, the sort of place extreme athletes probably don't frequent on their day off ! Nestled in by the incontinent pads where some new springy knee supports, at least I think that's what they were... So, that should help with the pain for a few miles at least. Also I visited the blood testing clinic, where the nurse thought it hilarious to call me Justin Timberlake! I managed a chuckle the first time but not by the third! She took my blood pretty well though and to my delight the results were bang on!

The temperature here this morning is a cool 20 degrees but warming up fast and skies clearing back to blue... I see from my Desktop that back home it's just 8 degrees. That's cold! I can only imagine how crowded Cornwall would be if it had the same temperate climate as central France... So, maybe it's a blessing that our summers only last about a week!?

I don't know quite how I managed to plan this part of my trip so badly but looking at the now rather dog eared map I'll actually be cycling for several hours today only to wind up even further from home! A town called Fumel east of here and slightly south !

I've now, by my reckoning got about 15 nights to go and have 10 nights behind me... That's 15 more days at least pedalling and I really don't seem to be finding it any easier, harder if anything. There is of course a chance that the hills could flatten a bit and the going get better ? Mind you I can remember some pretty nasty ones in Brittany, so the last hundred miles or so will be tough going ! I'll have a lovely rest to look forward to on the ferry though ! I've just realised I don't have a ticket ! That's neither here nor there but I'd not thought about it till now...

Right, time to pack and to be ruthless too, some things are definitely being dumped today ! My panniers have to get lighter, I've dragged them up far too many hills to be carrying non essentials !

So, bye for now... Until I get a chance to write again... Please keep reading and checking in daily... There's talk of a radio interview today, I've had a couple of calls from the station trying to set something up! All very exciting stuff so stay tuned... To my Blog at least!

If you're thinking about donating... It's really easy, so please do!








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I am checking in daily, didnt want to tell you in case you thought I was a bit weird but, running the risk of inflating your fragile ego, I think the photos are brilliant, the writing amusing and, although your map planning obviously is excentric, I am admiring your plucky cycling. Theres praise indeed, keep going, I may even donate again!
Mother Wimperis, (forgotten me flipping password again!)

Dangerous D said...

glad you have had a rest and a good time. Stay safe Dom.