Monday 5 October 2009

The long winding road to Condom !






















No, it really is called Condom (see photo) ! I think I've done about 95km today ? My bike computer is showing 61 miles, which equates to 15 Helston's or 3 Truro's ! A long way for a non cyclist, with a mountain bike and 35kgs of panniers anyway.

For the most part it was a nice ride, pyrenees behind me, sun on my back and facing towards home at last ! A pretty busy road too until the last ten miles or so. Drivers here are generally quite good about cyclists, giving a wide berth and often a polite parp on the horn to remind you to keep in, but there's some idiots too who seem to think it's a great game to pass at speed as close as they can get to you almost brushing you with their mirror ! It has actually happened once, it was one of those extended things that caravaners strap on, he didn't have a caravan but his "strap on " was there and ready to whack an unsuspecting cyclist hard across the shoulder ! Scared the life out of me too ! The most annoying detail was that the car was English !

I pedalled for hours today, a steady 10 mph which was much better than the 5-6mph I was managing in the mountains. The route was punctuated by the usual array of road kill, some dry and flat, some stinking and inflated and some fresh ... I saw half a dog today, that was a nasty one... Hub caps too, loads of them, but still not found the right one for my little car, it's a french make so I'm sure one will turn up. Mc Donalds packaging too, disgarded from car windows. It would make an interesting survey you know, because Mc Donalds litter stretches for miles in every direction from every one of their Fast food outlets that I've thus far cycled up to and away from. I actually know if there's a Mc Donalds in the town on my aproach way before I see a sign to it !

So, tomorrow I pedal further north, up through Agens and towards Bordeaux. Another long one I think.

Thank to everyone down in the Monlong area where I've been the last few days, especially Monty, Anita, Frankie and last but not least Caroline, you've all been fantastic !

No comments: